Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Winter in Central Pennsylvania


I moved to Central Pennsylvania sixteen years ago with four children, one was a nine-month old, in a blizzard. I was enlightened by the beautiful, white blanket covering my new home, but overwhelmed at how much blanket was covering my new home.
Many years have passed since that amazing event. We've had snow in our area since that blizzard, but nothing to match that amazing year. Now, 2010 seems to be threatening with another fabulous snow storm! Yes, let it snow.
Although I am excited about the snow, I am not excited about having to come up with new recipes to eat because produce is limited. Since I started eating raw, I have found many amazing recipes, but must wait until the weather gets warm because Central Pennsylvania just doesn't have what I need. I can't wait for Spring and the Farmer's Markets. So, since I have to make due, I have eaten many salads, but the one I love the most is Gretchen's Color Salad. That's the name my youngest daughter gave it. The recipe is under the picture. Enjoy!


Gretchen's Color Salad
(there's really no exact measurements how much and how little is your choice)

Handful of mixed greens
Four slices of cucumbers, julienned
Four slices of zucchini, julienned
One carrot, chopped
1/2 cup of chick peas
1/2 cup of black beans
1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
One cup of tofu
(yes, some of this isn't exactly raw, but remember what I said about winters in Central Pennsylvania)

Put everything decoratively on a plate. Add a dash of pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment